A tradition of Fribourg during which food and conviviality between family and friends are at the heart of the programme.
Freiburg folklore is, for a weekend, present in the medieval streets of the town of Estavayer-le-Lac. Epicureans and simple onlookers enjoy tasting, discovering, laughing and living around the Bénichon and its customs. Animations and a small farm are set up to entertain children and adults alike. The Bénichon menu is the star of the party. Visitors who are most fond of traditional dishes are delighted to enjoy ham, leg, meringues and cuchaule.
Every year, a highlight of this event is the Bénichon mustard competition. The candidates compete in two categories: amateur and professional. The jury composed of members of the Confraternity of Mustard Masters will proceed to the tasting and nomination of the winners. The sweet and sour jams, which are inseparable from a Bénichon's meal, are all part of the manufacturing secret. Each holds its own recipe, handed down under the seal of family secrecy and skilfully refined and improved over the generations. Taste, texture and consistency are three aspects judged by the Mustard Masters. At the end of the tastings, the subtlest preparation wins the title of the best mustard of Bénichon in the canton of Fribourg.
- Friday: from 11:00, aperitif and lunch for local businesses. From 18:30, evening meal for the public in the canteen with musical entertainment
- Saturday: market, mustard competition, lunch and dinner in the canteen, musical entertainment
- Sunday: procession with the youth, lifting of the dances, market, lunch under the canteen.
Friday 11 am-4pm : les Amis du Belmont
Friday 6pm-2am : Les Galériens
Saturday 11am-4pm : orchestre Confettis
Saturday 6pm-2am : Les Galériens
Sunday 11am-5pm : Les Galériens
Youth Dance Program:
- Friday, August 23rd - 9pm by the youth of Forel-Autavaux-Montbrelloz
- Saturday, August 24th - 9pm by the youth of Murist
- Sunday, August 25 - 2:30 pm probably by Cugy and Fetigny's youth (still to be confirmed)
|Full Bénichon Menu||65.- CHF|
|Plate of ham or leg of lamb||27.- CHF|
|Child plate up to 12 years old||15.- CHF|
Bars and catering on site
Fairgrounds on the Casino Square
Bénichon farm installed on the parking spaces in front of the Museum