Via Jacobi : Payerne-Moudon
From Payerne, this section of the Via Jacobi follows the Broye river. Between forests and fields as far as the eye can see, the path, leading to the medieval town of Moudon, invites you to escape and dream.
After discovering Payerne and its impressive Cluniac abbey church, the Via Jacobi goes along landscapes as bucolic as they are peaceful. Along the way stands the Lucens castle and its imposing keep.
The walkers then enter the old town of Moudon through the bell-tower door of Saint Stephen’s church, also known as the small cathedral. Inside, historical paintings, wooden stalls decorated with 16th century sculptures and the oldest organ in the canton (1764) are to be admired. Located on a rocky spur, the Upper Town is classified as a site of national interest for the excellent conservation of its historic building.
Tip: shortly after Lucens, visit the Church of Curtilles. Consisting of a 13th century nave decorated with wall paintings and a 16th century choir, this church founded in 1050 is remarkable for its bell tower with arcades.
Accessible by public transport: yes
Accessible by car: yes
Height difference: + 97 m / - 37 m